Skip to main content

Shambala Sect 21


Lirzod was walking down a sloping corridor. “Geez, these streets are like a maze. Shouldn’t K Block come after J Block? Just how are these blocks situated?” Though some part of him wanted to ask others for directions, some part of him didn’t. So he continued to roam, hoping to end up at the K Block. 

However, the blocks had no straight paths that connected one block to the other. Because their shapes and sizes were different, it wasn’t easy to know which blocks surrounded a particular block. The curving streets were an additional bonus. When Lirzod arrived at the same junction for the third time, he scratched his jaw. “Am I walking in circles? Is this a maze or something?” he looked around, and his eyes eventually stopped on a little dog that was looking right at him with its tongue hanging out to the side, teeth exposed, and the noise of its breath sounded like laughter to him. That dog was there in the past two times, too. When he saw it for the first time, it was resting its whole body on the floor back then. During the second time, it was up and sitting on its butt. Now, it was laughing. Lirzod, however, ignored it and continued walking. A few minutes later, he ended up coming back to the same junction. Before he even got there, he could see the dog rolling on the floor in laughter, with its legs facing the ceiling. It irritated Lirzod enough that his cheeks puffed up, and he stomped on the floor, causing the dog to flee in haste. But after making some distance, it turned back.

“What are you looking at, huh? You wanna fight me? Ah?” Lirzod shouted, and the dog barked a few times. Lirzod, however, didn’t back down and barked back similarly. This continued for a few more seconds as they exchanged barks three times. Eventually, the dog turned its tail and made even more distance while continuing to bark. “That’s right! I may not be able to bark like you, but I also have a throat, buddy. Your barks are not going to fly with me. You better not come back, or I’ll raise the level of my counter.”

The dog stopped and then excreted on the floor.

“You little…” Lirzod clenched his fist and roared. “Come back here if you dare!”

The dog, however, howled and then made more and more distance.

“Tch, pray that we won’t meet again, or I’ll make you shit a bucket this time,” Lirzod said aloud. Even though he could still somewhat hear the dog’s barkings, he bothered about it no more and continued walking.

After he rounded a corner and entered another corridor, his ears caught the sound of music. “This… Is Snow White still playing music?” As he walked in the direction of the source, all his uneasiness got washed away, and he walked as if he were dancing while building lines for the melody.

“Bag, bag, bag-bag all hazelnuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all chestnuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all walnuts. 
Bag, bag, bag-bag all peanuts.
Nuts, nuts, you ain’t going nowhere.

Bag, bag, bag-bag all Baru nuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all Pine nuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all Soy nuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all Raw nuts.
Nuts, nuts, you ain’t going nowhere.
Your only way out is a way in
Through my mouth.

Bag, bag, bag-bag all salted nuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all roasted nuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all seasoned nuts.
Bag, bag, bag-bag all the beloved nuts.
Nuts, nuts, you ain’t going nowhere.
I repeat, you ain't going nowhere.”

“Hehe, that came out nice,” Lirzod rubbed his nose. “I should make Duera dance to these lyrics when I get back home.”

Somehow he reached one of the entrances to the open segment and could barely see Stussy playing instruments at the top of the figurehead, but when he was about to step out into the open, he hit an invisible wall made of air and fell back. His nose got bruised, and that impact awoke all of his senses. He came out of the daydream, where he was playing an audience to Duera's dance. "What the heck just happened..." He was surprised, and he looked around, not knowing what he had just hit. When he walked ahead, he hit it again and got bewildered.

"This..." He stood and knocked the air with his knuckles, and a sound similar to that of him hitting a glass came out. “What’s this? It’s as if the air is cracking.” He called out for Stussy but got no response from her or even from any other workers who should have heard his voice. "Can't she hear me?" he tried again a few times, but the result was pretty much the same. Not one person glanced in his direction.

The music stopped, Stussy came down from the figurehead. Lirzod got excited, thinking she was coming to him, but she went to a mango tree and rested on the floor, one of her arms acting as a pillow and wood as a bed.

Lirzod tried shouting again, numerous times, but there was no use. Seeing how his efforts were fruitless, he shook his head. “She must have set this wall. I wanted to ask her the directions to my room, but… Mm?” Just then, he looked to his left, and there was a ten-foot-tall boulder a few feet away from him. On it was written a few words ‘I’m a mighty rock. Lift me, and the way out shall be opened.’

“What’s that for? Lirzod didn’t initially get it, but moments later, his eyes enlarged. “Don’t tell me, it’s talking about this barrier?” Lirzod got excited right away. “I just have to lift this to get to her, huh. Then so be it.” He reached the brown boulder, which was covered in dirt. “Looks like nobody bothered to clean you in a long time.” He put his hands at the bottom and tried to lift it. However, it didn’t budge an inch. “Mm?” Lirzod was a little surprised. He put some strength into his arms and tried again, but the result was the same. “What?” he took a step back and stretched his arms a bit before giving it another go, and this time he seemed to be giving it his all, but there wasn’t the slightest response from the boulder. “This… How heavy is this thing?”

Panting audibly, he looked at the boulder in wonder. He clenched his fist and punched the boulder and ended up hurting his hand. “Ouch... I couldn’t even get the dust off of it. Just what is this thing made of?” His intrigue only increased. “Moving it around should be easier than lifting it.” Thinking that to himself, he tried to push it and make it collapse in the opposite direction, but he couldn’t even tilt the boulder even by a degree, and sweat fought for a place on his face. “It feels like I’m trying to uproot a banyan tree.” He stepped back a little and panted. “To think my current power isn’t enough to even move this thing... My hands are already heating up.” He spat in his palms and rubbed them to clean and smoothen them up. “If my people were to see this, they may have second thoughts on me ever taking over my father’s position,” he rubbed the back of his head in discomfiture. A second of silence passed. His fists then slowly tightened, and resolve filled his eyes. “This must be one of God’s trials now that I’ve come out of my home. I can’t fail without giving it what I’ve got!” He bent and put his hands at the bottom of the rock, and put all his strength in his arms. His shirt tore at both shoulders, and the muscles in his arms strained, but he didn’t give up and roared at the top of his lungs, fully focused on finishing the task at hand. At that moment, the dust settled at the very top of the boulder moved a little.

Stussy, who was sleeping on the floor, opened one of her eyes.

Lirzod just then stopped pushing it and was breathing audibly. “That’s it. If I keep going, I might injure myself.”

Stussy closed her eye, but a corner of her lips curled up a little. Not bad for someone who doesn’t have ‘might.’ If I’m correct, the last person who managed to lift that rock before they knew might... What was his name? Nocres, was it?

Because the boulder was ten feet tall, Lirzod was unaware that he managed to slightly disturb the dust on it. “Geez, just what are you made of?” Lirzod put his hands on his waist and looked at the rock in disbelief. “If you were a nut, I could’ve put my mouth to work and made you lose some weight, but...” He leaked out a breath out of his mouth. “There isn’t much I can do at this rate. I can’t let loose—”

A faint wind blew from his rear side.

“Want an extra hand?” Just then, a gentle voice came from behind.

When Lirzod turned and looked, a dark-skinned senile man with bent back was standing there, with the help of a walking stick. His hair was copper-colored, and his clothes were covered in dirt, and a few houseflies constantly accompanied him, buzzing nearby, especially near his wounded bare feet. “You are… who are you?”

“Consider me as a friend. I can help you if you need it.” His light green eyes were crystal clear and radiated much light. His voice was quite pleasant on the ears, too.

“Uh, no. It’s alright,” Lirzod politely replied in return. “I was just trying my chance. That’s all. Thanks for asking, though.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll be leaving your sight then,” the man turned around and walked away at his own pace.

“Ah, it was nice meeting you. By the way, you should wash your feet regularly,” Lirzod said, and the old man just raised his hand a little as a response. The boy then just watched the man leave. After he left, Lirzod felt some strange warmth flowing through his heart, and it brought a smile on his face. “A nice fellow, but also an old guy who wants to be young. But if he had given a hand, he would’ve only broken his back. And that wouldn't do good for someone his age. Still, for his effort, I should’ve given him a nut. Maybe next time.” He then glanced over his shoulder and looked at the boulder. “I failed today, but one day I will lift you.” His glance shifted a bit downward. “Right now, I’m not eligible to clean you. So, bathing should wait.”

After taking a few steps, he looked at the barrier and pouted for a few seconds before resuming to walk away. “I don’t know when I’ll manage to lift that rock. Come to think of it, this thing wasn’t here when I entered. I guess I will come back when there’s no barrier here, hehe...” Saying that he picked up the pace and covered a few hundred meters before slowing down.

“I should first head back to my room, but how in the world do I get there on my own?” he looked at some people who were in the distance and wanted to ask them for directions but then shook his head. “No, I have to find the room by myself. Let this be an exercise.”

He resumed his relentless journey with a renewed vigor.

Thirty minutes later.

In some random street, Lirzod was walking like a lifeless lifeform, his shoulders flailing, head tilted down, and the spine arched forward. “Screw these streets. Screw this ship. I just want to go home. I’m really missing my town,” he seemed distressed and couldn't help but sulk. He knew his entire hometown like it was his own backyard, but the streets inside the ship proved too troublesome to map in his mind. “Am I lost?” he felt his heartbeat as he weighed his words.

At that moment, he saw a female figure cross the junction and enter a different street. His eyes lit up, and he ran after her. Only after he crossed the corner of the street and got close enough, he realized that it was Sariyu. Seeing her, tears welled out of his eyes. “S-Sariyu!” he jumped at her from behind, startling her. He curled his arms around her and rubbed his head on her back while sobbing. “Waah, I thought I’d never see you again.”

“Lirzod! Let go of me!” Sariyu did her best to get out of his bind, but he was too absorbed in crying that he didn’t pay heed to her actions at all.

“Who the heck is that little finger?” some of the men who had been following Sariyu from behind were enraged. They all ran toward those two. “How dare he attack a girl from behind? He needs to be taught with fists!” 

“Lirzod! I’m talking to you!” Sariyu shouted but got no reply. She ground her teeth and spoke in a controlled tone, “If you don’t step away before I count to three, I promise for real that I’ll kill you.”

The words ‘kill you’ reached Lirzod’s ears and brought him back to his senses. “No,” he shook his head and hugged her tightly. “If I do, you’ll run away.”

“Huh?” Sariyu was baffled but then ground her teeth. “Let go of me first!”

Despite her attempts, Lirzod was in an advantageous position, so she struggled to succeed. In that time, three men arrived at the spot and wasted no time in pulling Lirzod away.

“You rotten flower! How dare you cling to that beautiful lady?” They were quite furious as they forcibly pulled him away.

“What?” Lirzod was puzzled.

“Are you alright, miss?” one of the men asked her, ignoring Lirzod.

Sariyu took a deep breath and nodded as she glared at Lirzod. “Can you beat that prick for me?”

“Of course,” the three men stood in between her and Lirzod. “Hehehe,” they cracked their knuckles and let our vulgar smiles, "with pleasure."

“This is too much,” Lirzod stepped back. “Sariyu, tell them to stop.”

“Huh? Did you stop when I told you?” Sariyu raised her voice. “The right thing to do is to bear the punishment.” She folded her arms. “As they say, welcome what you can’t avoid.”

“That...” Lirzod was taken aback.

“Hehe, you heard the lady,” the three guys came closer and closer. “Now, hand your candy ass without a hitch, and we’ll make quick work out of it. Otherwise, you won't be able to rest it on any surface for weeks.”

Lirzod pressed his lips harder and looked at Sariyu, who pulled out her tongue purposely and teased him as he would do to her all the time. You sawshin! He then looked at the men and forced out a grin.

“What’s so funny, kid?” one of the men asked. “Do you not believe in our words or what?”

“No. it’s just that…” Lirzod looked at Sariyu. “They’ve been calling you a lady. Are you okay with that? Shouldn’t you punish them for it?”

“Eek!” the men shrieked and quickly turned to Sariyu. “W-We are sorry. We should’ve called you ‘young lady.’”

“Mistake has been done, but I’ll make an exception this once,” she replied without hesitation and pointed her finger at Lirzod. “Now, teach him some manners, gentlemen.”

“U-Uh, sure!” the men swiveled toward Lirzod, startling him. “You heard her. What are you going to do now?”

Lirzod frowned initially, but then that frown turned into a smile.

“Heh, what are you smiling now for?” one of the men snorted.

“Maybe he’s too afraid to do anything else,” another man sneered.

“Kekeke,” they laughed in sync.

Lirzod stood straight. “Hello, brothers. Can I ask you three one thing?”

“Ah?” their laughing stopped. “What is it? Are you gonna make your dying wish or what?” one of them chortled.

“No, no. You three are helping that girl for a reason, right?” Lirzod said and paused to examine their response.

“Of course, we want to become her offsider,” those three replied simultaneously, and the next second, they looked at each other.

“Hey, I got to her first, so I will be her offsider!” one of the men blurted out.

“What? I choked the boy’s throat and pulled him away. I deserve to be her offsider!” another man rolled up his sleeves.

“Hmph, I’m better than you both. I even asked the young lady if she was alright after we helped her!” the third one loosened his collar.

“Ridiculous. You call that a better thing than mine?”

“Of course, it’s better than your both combined, to be honest.”

“Shove your honesty in your shoes!”

“Yeah, I will shove mine in my shoes, while you two can shove them in your rear ends.” He repeated made sharp gestures that piqued the nerves of the other two.

“You shithead!” those two began to tackle the third guy, and their struggle took no time before turning into a full-blown fistfight.

As the three were busy in brawling, Lirzod sneakily made himself scarce.

Seeing the unfolded events, Sariyu felt a sour taste in her mouth. She could only shake her head as she left the spot as well.

After she crossed a couple of streets, a figure jumped at her from behind, trying to hug her again, but this time she turned back and swiftly unsheathed her knife and stopped it less than an inch away from that person’s throat. “Maybe once, but never twice in a day,” she said, her eyes oozing out a threatening aura.

That person, Lirzod, forced out a smile and stepped back. “So you saw me coming," he exposed his empty palms, "just trying to surprise you, that's all.” He looked at the knife. “At least you didn’t take out the daggers, which means...”

“I knew you would follow me right away after escaping out of that place,” Sariyu turned away and began to walk, “but that doesn’t matter. What matters is whether or not you’ll stop following me from here onward.”

Without saying a word, Lirzod followed her from behind, which made her brows twitch.

“Words are wasted on a shameless squirrel indeed.” She felt a pulse in her throat, and even though she forced herself to ignore him, but she still couldn’t control her tongue. “I should apologize to the squirrel race. They probably have bigger pride than yours.”

“It’s not like I want to follow you, but I can’t help it,” Lirzod's voice weakened a bit as he tucked his arms at the sides. “Your room is right beside mine, right? So I’m just following you. That’s all.”

Sariyu was surprised a bit. “Hmph, whatever. Just make sure to stay at least ten meters away from me.”

“Ten centimeters? Okay.” Lirzod quickly stepped closer.

Sariyu grabbed the handle of the knife resting on her waist. “I said 'meters.'”

“Got it.” Lirzod raised his arms and stepped back enough distance. “Speak clearly, Madam Mustache. You know I get deaf at times.”

Sariyu's feet came to a halt. Her pulse sped up, and heat flushed through her body, all of which reddened her face as she turned back and jumped on top of Lirzod. She pulled his tongue up and placed the knife at a touching distance to it. "I told you not to call me by that name." Her expression was devoid of friendliness. She truly seemed serious.

"My bad. A tongue slip." Lirzod responded in a not-so-clear tone, a bead of sweat dripping down his forehead.

Sariyu let go of the tongue but swiftly moved her hand and cut something.

"My sidelock!" Lirzod's lower lip quivered as he looked at the bunch of hair.

"Consider this as the penalty," Sariyu stood and sheathed the knife.

Lirzod stood with and touched his face. He only had a sidelock on one of his sides. "Even squirrels can’t be this heartless." He shouted, “Who will take care of the other side, huh? Come and shave this side as well.”

However, she didn’t respond.

More than a year ago, he saw a strand of hair develop at the area between her nose and upper lip. From then on, he began to tease her with the name ‘Madam Mustache.’ Though Sariyu cut the hair, and though it never grew back, Lirzod never really stopped using that nickname. "Fine, I’ll lessen one of the eleven kisses you owe me, so come and shave it, madam—" he was about to say but then quickly shut his mouth.

Sariyu ground her teeth a little. She didn’t bother to respond and resumed her walk.

After crossing that street, the atmosphere has lightened a bit, thanks to a couple of kids playing in the background, laughing without a break. Lirzod let his tongue take the stage, "Hey, hey, I almost forgot to tell you." His face beamed strong color and sheen. "I developed a new song. Want to know the lyrics? I'll sing for you, but you should shave the other side as well, got it?"

"If it's about the stupid nuts again, then save it for yourself," Sariyu coldly replied.

"Yes, but I promise it will be good."

"No."

“Please.”

“No. I don’t want dogs to come after us.”

"Bag, bag, bag-bag all—"

Sariyu touched the handle of her knife and turned back. "What part of 'no,' you didn't understand?"

"U-Uh, I thought you said, 'yes.' M-My bad. I won't sing anymore," Lirzod put his forefinger on his mouth, “for now.”

Sariyu sheathed her knife and continued her walk. Lirzod silently strolled behind her.

A few minutes later.

In a random street, Sariyu was being followed by two people. One of them was Lirzod and the other was a new guy, who joined only a minute ago.

“Hey, I’m following her for a good reason,” the guy argued with Lirzod. “You said you were following her even though she rejected your proposal. Aren’t you just wasting your time?”

“I can waste a lot more time for a beautiful girl,” Lirzod said.

Sariyu could hear his words, and it twitched her brows, but she didn’t turn back.

“What? You mean, this girl isn’t beautiful enough to your eyes?” the other guy asked in shock. “I’d give her my wealth if she asks for it.”

“Hmph, you are talking like that because you know nothing about her,” Lirzod said and exhaled the breath out of his mouth. “She says she’s patient, but she can’t take my counters well. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that she’s being hypocritical, but nobody would be happier if she’s a bit more sincere.”

“Then I’ll just know her a bit more and then disprove your words!” the guy closed in on Sariyu. “Excuse me, can you tell me about yourself? A little would be enough.”

“I’m not in a good mood, so back off before you hurt yourself,” Sariyu’s voice as chilling as moonlight.

The guy got stupefied, and he came back to Lirzod and said with a lost expression, “Y-You’re right.”

“I told you.”

“I don’t want to be an offsider to such an entry,” the guy stopped and walked away in a different direction.

Lirzod just waved him goodbye before turning back to Sariyu and chortled. “Not many followed you in our town, at least not until recently, but here, so many men want to follow you already. I’m happy for you, and I’m sure you are quite happy about it, too.”

“Happy? It’s annoying, to say the least,” Sariyu replied without looking back.

“Mm, a white lie?” Lirzod mumbled, then looked around and realized that they were in the D Block. “Huh? Hey, didn’t we already go past this block before? Why are we in this one again?” He looked at her but didn’t get a response. A second later, his eyes enlarged. “Don’t tell me, you...”

Sariyu’s heart began to pump faster, and she pressed her lips hard, hoping to control it.

Chapter Length: 4000+ words
Daily Dose:  I know, this is the age of GPS, but getting lost can be anywhere between a silly to a terrible thing. People get lost for all kinds of reasons. How many of you have experienced such a thing? How much time have you wasted roaming around confusedly or scaredly? How did you find your way?  Using technology, or taking the help of people, or by only relying on your mind? As for me, by God's grace, I don't have any related incident good enough to talk about, so let me hear your stories.



 Prev Chapter  |  Next Chapter 

Comments (0)