Skip to main content

Shambala Sect 55


Lirzod had stepped out of the cat home and was on his way to the cat ring, where Jehez was arguing with Gonn. A blonde girl was standing behind Gonn, wearing an eel-faced mask that was mostly blue except around the edges. The black staff in her hands resembled an eel, and it kept men from approaching her. Nevertheless, some men asked her to remove her mask, but she didn’t even respond, and her close-set copper eyes just paid attention to the conversation between Jehez and Gonn.
“Sir, even if your ticket was stolen, it didn’t happen before my eyes, so there’s nothing I can do about that. Maybe if you go to the Monitor Hall, they might help you by checking the surveillance footage.” Jehez urged Gonn to move aside so he could continue with the tests. “Besides, don’t you think you should be fighting that clown instead of me?”
“You do know whose son I am, don’t you?” Gonn raised his voice and lifted both eyebrows.
“I-I know, sir, but... please look from my perspective as well,” Jehez made a complicated expression filled with both frustration and fear. “I let anyone with the ticket participate in the deck test. And that’s what I did. If you want to file a complaint, then I can talk to the commander about it, but that’s all I can do.”
“Where’s the commander then?” Gonn looked around.
“Uh, he’s not here," Jehez's mouth dried up from the incessant talking, but he was forced to talk, "I’ll make sure to inform him by the end of this day.”
Gonn bit his lip as he narrowed his eyes. “If you let me participate in the upcoming round, I’ll forget everything. You don’t need to worry about anything else, either.”
Jehez was quite surprised. “That..." he cleared his throat, "it all depends on whether or not the contestant would be willing to sell their ticket.”
“Of course, I won’t,” Lirzod said aloud, getting the attention of many people, especially that of Gonn and Jehez. “Do I look like a person who would give away their ticket for some coins? Of course not." As he strode toward the referee, his boisterous voice came as a surprise to many. "Do I look like a person who would give away their ticket just because a girl takes out her mask for me?” he looked at the blonde girl standing behind Gonn. “Maybe, I will.”
“Huh?” the crowd chatted among themselves upon hearing Lirzod’s words.
“What’s he breathing? He’s missing his chance to earn a handsome amount of coin.”
“Maybe he doesn’t want money and just wants to see that girl’s face.”
“He might just be doing that for us, too. We’ve been trying to see her face as well, after all.”
"Aww, what a softie."
Jehez immediately understood what was happening and gazed at the blonde girl.
“I’m not removing my mask for anyone,” the blonde girl coldly replied, maintaining a relaxed posture.
Gonn glanced at her. “Bella, please. I will get to participate right away.”
“Sorry, but I can’t,” the blonde girl, Bella slowly shook her head.
“She has the air of a bodyguard around her,” the long-nosed man standing beside Sariyu said, “I thought she was his bodyguard. Maybe I’m wrong.” Both of them were about fifteen meters away from Bella and Gonn.
“Still, she’s not removing the mask even when her friend’s requesting her,” Sariyu said, pinching the skin at her throat, “I hope Lirzod doesn’t irritate her with his antics.”
“I will help your friend, don’t worry,” the long-nosed man began to walk toward Lirzod, swinging his arms freely. “Miss Bella, can you please either show your face and earn the ticket so that your friend can participate, or can you at least take your friend out from here so that my friend can participate?”
Bella, however, didn’t respond, and her gaze wandered elsewhere.
“Why aren’t you responding, miss?” the long-nosed man couldn’t help but ask.
“She must have an evil face,” Lirzod said and offered a deep sigh.
“Hmm, that might very well be the case,” the long-nosed man gave a heavy nod, drumming his finger on the chin.
“I don’t have an evil face,” Bella barked at them both, and her chest somewhat tightened.
“How do we know that?” Lirzod lifted his shoulders a bit and tugged on the bottom lip.
“Like this,” she removed the mask, nonplusing almost everyone, for they weren't expecting to see her profile so soon. She had somewhat of a chubby face, and most men seemed rather let down and offered her a sound of silence.
Lirzod’s eyes, however, glowed, and words poured out of his mouth involuntarily, “Wow, a face that can fascinate flowers with freshness.”
The long-nosed man glanced at Lirzod and uttered in a low voice, “I wouldn’t go as far as saying that she ain’t beautiful, but she ain’t a beauty either.”
“Fascinate Flowers? Pfft,” one big-bellied man in the crowd snorted at Lirzod and spoke for all to hear. "Either you are blind, or your standards must be really low. She’s an average looker at best. Maybe she can mesmerize pigs, but that's all there is.”
"Hahaha," many men burst into laughter. Though it was a peal of controlled laughter, Bella’s ears perceived it as dozens of chalks screeching on the board. It was the worst sound ever, and it defiled her ears inexorably.
Bella put a bit more strength into her grip, and a surge of bluish electricity ejected out of the staff and snaked through the air like a living eel and coiled around the big-bellied man's frame before he even realized what was going on, tightly bound him and bit him at the neck. "Eel Execute!"
The big-bellied man howled in horror amidst the crunching and chirping noise.
The laughing voices of men hit a sudden break, and they all watched her with mouths agape.
Bella, with a flick of her wrist, sent the big-bellied man flying over the crowd until he ended up crashing into the wall. His body and clothes got thoroughly charred, and even though he lost consciousness, his body still shivered in response to electrocution.
“S-She’s strong,” some men stepped back instinctively.
A bead of sweat appeared on Jehez’s forehead. I was underestimating her because she’s a regular cruxler, but that looks like a high-quality staff, which requires a lot of talent to control. If she’s this strong, her friend must be even stronger. I hope I can get out of this mess unscathed. Even though he was obligated to warn her that fighting in the hall wasn’t the right thing to do, he refrained from doing so.
“I-I take back my words.” the long-nosed man mused to himself. “Strength brings beauty, as my grandma said.” The burnt smell floating in the air stirred his nose into sneezing fumblingly.
“I don’t think she heard your words,” Lirzod said and smiled. "The treatment she gave that pot-bellied dude looked like a buzzy massage, but it's way scarier. Do you want to try that?"
“I think I’ll go back to my place,” the long-nosed man turned and walked back to Sariyu.
Gonn looked at Lirzod in the eye and put his hand forward, “She removed her mask, so give me the ticket.”
“Huh?” Lirzod didn’t see that coming and took a step back. “Wait, she didn’t take off the mask when I asked her. She did it later, out of her own volition.”
“What?” Gonn narrowed his eyes, and his jaw formed a hard line. “If this is some sort of a joke you’re trying to pull, then I suggest you stop it and hand over the ticket.”
“Why should I?” Lirzod looked at Jehez. “You tell them. She clearly didn’t take off the mask when I asked her. Plus, I only said that I might consider giving the ticket even if she happened to take off the mask.”
Jehez didn’t know what to say. He glanced at Gonn, his brows squishing together. “T-That boy’s right.”
Gonn ignored Jehez and stepped toward Lirzod, and a vein his hand protruded out. “Do you know whose son I am?”
Even though Gonn was standing right before him, Lirzod’s concentration was now on the blonde girl because she was looking right at him. He walked past Gonn, “You might be the chosen one, Miss Bella.”
“Chosen?” Bella’s stare was as cold as ever, and it wasn’t so obvious that she had been trying her best from putting the mask back on. “For what?”
“To accompany Lirzod in his journey.”
“Lirzod?” Just like her stare, her voice was cold, too, “Who’s that?”
“You are looking at him.” Lirzod closed his eyes and grinned.
Bella squinted her eyes. “If you don’t unchoose me, my shoe will choose your cheeks.”
“U-Uh,” Lirzod’s feet came to a halt, “can’t you at least let your hand choose my cheek?”
“What?” Bella’s expression hardened.
“Everything that happens—happens for a reason,” Lirzod stepped closer. “I believe that meeting you was no accident, my lady. Just ask for the ticket, and I’ll give it to you.”
“Yeah, you may be right. Everything does happen for a reason, but I’m not your lady.” With a swift movement of her hand, Bella thwacked Lirzod right in the gut with her staff, making him bend forward and blow moist air through his mouth. “Did this happen for a reason, too?”
Lirzod controlled himself from spitting out saliva as it would fall on Bella’s feet. He forcefully swallowed it and stood straight. “A-Absolutely.”
“Doesn’t matter the place I go to...” Bella put her mask back on and turned away, “all that folks see is flesh.”
Seeing Bella leave, Gonn followed her. “Bella, wait!” as he went past Lirzod, he said, “Don’t ever come into my sight again, or I’ll make you regret everything you did today.”
Lirzod forced out a smile in return.
“What a belligerent girl,” the long-nosed man harrumphed. Now that she was distant enough from him, he was able to speak his heart, “she thinks too highly of herself when she doesn’t even smell that nice. Why does your friend even bother to talk with such a girl?”
“Now, he’s a lot better,” Sariyu replied in a quiet voice, her expression somewhat helpless. “In the past, he used to dance around girls like a cat on hot coals. I don’t know whether to feel good that he’s growing up, or feel bad that he’s doing it at his own pace.”
Meanwhile, Jehez breathed a sigh of relief and rubbed the sweat off his face. He placed his hand on Lirzod’s shoulder from the side. “Ticket.” 
“Oh, yeah,” Lirzod quickly handed him the ticket.
Upon observing the ticket numbered 181819, Jehez nodded. “Mm, you can enter the ring.”
“Yeah, but I need a minute.”
“A minute? What for?”
“To persuade the audiences into betting for me,” Lirzod said in a confident tone. "I can do that, right?"
"You can… The rules do allow that," Jehez's voice was dry and sounded as if it lacked any respect, "but are you sure about this?"
"Yes," Lirzod's eyes gleamed with expectation.
“All right," Jehez's replied in a sharp tone as if he was warning, "since the cat is yet to come, I’ll give you thirty seconds.”
“Thanks.” Lirzod turned around and right away addressed the crowd with a booming voice, “My humble hello to all of the gentlemen and also to the two ladies in the hall. I have a request, so please hear me out.” His words made many heads turn in his direction. “I want you all to bet your money on my victory and earn pocketful of coins. Together, we can make history in this hall."
“Huh?” everyone was bewildered.
“History? My ass,” one guy in the hall snorted. “Why should we bet for you when we don’t even know you?”
“I know that guy,” a curly-haired person voiced his mind, “he’s picked a fight with Geragorn.”
“What?” many men were quite amazed. “Then why does he look all healthy? He doesn't look that strong. I don’t believe it.”
“I just said what I saw,” the curly-haired man said. “You don’t have to believe me if you don’t want to, but don’t regret it after he wins the test.”
“Did he really fight Geragorn then?” Everyone locked their gazes on Lirzod.
“Now you know at least a little about me,” said Lirzod. “Have faith in me, and you won’t fail.”
Lirzod’s words made people think.
Jehez, who was standing in the background, silently smiled. There’s no way this runt could have fought that beast of a man. The memory of Geragorn winning the deck test was still fresh in Jehez’s mind. A mighty roar was all it took for Geragorn to make the cat flee back to the cat home with its tail tucked between the legs. Jehez’s ears almost twinged just from remembering that incident.
“I didn’t really fight that big piggy, but...” Lirzod said, pushing his shoulders back a bit, “I want you to fight for me and hit it big.”
“And why would anyone believe you?” one man among the crowd barked, still not convinced with what he heard.
“Because I want to win,” Lirzod straightforwardly replied.
“Huh? That’s all?” some of the audiences had a dumbfounded look on their faces.
“Yes,” Lirzod said, clenching his fist, “I don’t like cats that much. That’s why I don’t want to lose to them at all costs. So I want all of your cooperation. The more bets there are in my favor, the more I'll want to give it my best.”
Despite Lirzod’s speech, not many seemed to be inclined to listen to him anymore.
“It’s not like I’m asking you to bet your careers on me, but only a few coins,” stated Lirzod. “Just a little is enough. Don’t get too stuck up on your beliefs, or don't let your unbelief hold you back. Time is nigh. I implore you to act.”
Still, the expressions of people didn’t change.
“That’s not all. If I lose,” Lirzod continued, “I’ll bear fifty percent of your losses.”
“What?” the crowd had their jaws hung open. “Are you serious?” At this point, Lirzod got the full attention of almost everyone in the hall.
“Yeah, but if I win,” Lirzod said, looking at others directly in the eye, “I’ll have fifty percent of the profits.”
The widely opened mouths of men now closed in haste. Everyone began to think. And now they realized the meaning behind his words, ‘Have faith in me, and you won’t fail.’ After all, even if Lirzod were to lose, they’d still be getting paid back some of the money. Whether he may win or lose, they’d still meet their expectations, which would be their win, yet they still seemed to be in two minds whether or not to listen to him.
“T-That’s too much!”
“Make it ten, and I’m in!”
“Yeah, ten is good for me.”
“Ten is still too much.”
The crowd continued to state their wishes, and after listening to them, Lirzod replied, “Then I’ll also bear only ten percent of the losses.”
“No!" the audience was quick to reject his words. "If you lose, then bear fifty percent of our losses, but if you win, then take ten percent.”
“But that’s not fair at all,” Lirzod shook his head. “Looks like this deal doesn't seem pleasant to your hearts. I was expecting a lot of support from you people, but I guess I overestimated your ability to seize opportunities.” Lirzod began to walk toward the ring with a disappointed expression. "I will just fight for myself then."
“W-Wait,” some men among the crowd hesitantly called out for Lirzod, making him turn without delay, “we agree to your proposal, but in case you end up losing, what’s the guarantee that you have enough money to pay us?”
“As long as your bets don’t exceed a hundred silver, I think I can afford the deal,” Lirzod said, “there’s enough money in my room on the tenth deck.”
“You better be telling the truth, or you’ll leave this hall with broken limbs,” some men threatened Lirzod by popping their knuckles.
“Of course,” Lirzod nodded, “you are free to break my limbs if I fail to pay you in 24 hours.”
Lirzod’s words convinced some men, who then headed toward the betting counter as fast as possible. Seeing them, the other people, who were going to bet anyway, also joined and placed their bets in his favor. Jehez became busy for some time because so many men bet in Lirzod’s favor. After all, only those people would be paid half the amount back if Lirzod were to lose. As for the rest of the bettors, everything was the same as usual.
In the meantime, Lirzod just got to Sariyu with displeasure written on his face. “Where’s the chick?”
“The drunk dude took it,” she replied, crossing her arms across her chest. “But hey, what’s up with this crazy bet? Did something hurt your head?”
“Drunk dude..." Lirzod blinked twice, "You mean that Wine-head took it?" His eyes enlarged, "Why did you let him take it away?”
“You left the crow with me," Sariyu said, her body posture rigid, "I just made sure that it ended up with its master.”
“You don’t know if that Wine-head’s the owner or not," a lump formed in Lirzod's throat. "That chick was alone when I found it.”
“Just let go of this topic and focus on finishing the test fast instead,” Sariyu said. “Now that you’ve made a stupid bet, you better win. I’m not giving you even a copper if you lose.”
“Uh..." Lirzod tucked the upper lip for a moment and then let out a short breath. "Fine.” He remembered Gentzu. If push comes to shove, I’ll ask him for some coin.
“Hey, brother,"  at that time, the long-nosed man said, "to be frank, that deal you made was nuts, and to announce that you’ll bear fifty percent of their losses, you sure got some balls."
“Of course, some nuts weigh a gram, but some nuts weigh a ton,” Lirzod said and giggled.
After losing focus for a moment, the long-nosed man laughed. "Haha, nonetheless, I must say that you will have made quite a sum of coins if you end up winning. All the best.”
"Thanks, but are you not betting for me?" Lirzod raised one of his brows.
"U-Uh, I..." the long-nosed man face lost some of its glow, and he embarrassingly smiled. "I don't know yet."
"You are missing your chance of making easy pocket money," Lirzod said and then headed back toward the cat ring.
“Hey, boy,” a plump-lipped man approached Lirzod, “your body language is giving the signs of confidence. I’m thinking of betting ten silver on you, so I need to know your approach to the test. If possible, I will also help improve your tactic and thus better your chances of winning.”
“You look for signs to bet, huh. How about I give you an entire storyline?” Lirzod said, “I intend to shine by overshadowing the feline and making the victory mine.”
“T-That’s all?” he was bewildered and almost choked on his own breath. “That's your tactic?”
Lirzod gave the man a thumbs up. “Wish me the best.”
“U-Uh, y-yeah,” the plump-lipped man stopped in his tracks and just watched Lirzod enter the ring. He looked toward the betting counter and muttered under his breath, “all those rats are going to lose half of their cheese.”
Chapter Length: 3200+ words
Daily Dose: Anyone can smile when they’re happy, but only some can still shower a smile even when they’re sad. It’s these people who walk their own way even when the entire world is walking the other way. And that’s why they attract the attention of those who have eyes to see, just like how even though the moon doesn’t sparkle like stars, she still overshadows all of them while rounding the skies as she fancies. Having said that, stars are great, but you know, the moon is their mother. Who doesn’t want to be like our mothers? I assume, all except a very few.


Comments (0)